Enlaces

Unemployed random musings south of the border.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Eccentric Defined


The main church is Cuernavaca is ancient. I know that most churches in Mexico are. But this thing is o-l-d. Latched onto the side of it is an eccentric home once owned and lived in by an American -- Robert Brady.

An Iowan with a flair for art (though his own was less than stellar), Brady became an eccentric art collector while living in Cuernavaca. His house stands as he left it when he died, which is chockablock with more than 1,300 pieces of art, colonial furniture, and statuaries.

The house included originals the likes of Frida Kahlo, Rufino Tamayo or Miguel Covarrubias. In spite of the myriad art pieces, I think it was tastefully done. The piece that struck me most, though, was this:

It is an old Maori canoe bailer. Fancy! Makes our 5-gallon white plastic buckets for bailing rafts appear boring and cheap.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy, this bring back memories of the 15th Century baptismal font I saw in an old cathedral in a small town in Peru.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm so jealous of your travels. Say "hi" to Diane for me... Also, you're taking great pics with that camera. ;o)

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm so jealous of your travels. Say "hi" to Diane for me... Also, you're taking great pics with that camera. ;o)

-Kevin

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home